Your Health, Your Way is the new service commissioned by Nottinghamshire County Council to support Nottinghamshire residents to:
- Get active,
- Lose weight and
- Quit smoking.
The service will also provide support for falls prevention and family weight management.
Due to the current situation with Coronavirus we are having to make changes to our service delivery from 01/04/2020. Please see below how this will affect each service area.
We are still providing stop smoking support but only via telephone or digital support – we have stopped all face to face support for the time being.
Nicotine Replacement Therapy will be posted out to people where required. Your Health Your Way will be able to accept all referrals for stop smoking support from 01/04/2020.
Weight Management, Physical Activity and Falls Prevention:
We are still accepting and supporting maternity weight management referrals.
All other referrals for weight management, family weight management, physical activity and falls prevention support is currently postponed, enabling Nottinghamshire County Council to re-prioritise staff and resources to support in their health protection work around the current coronavirus outbreak.
Please note, any referrals made for weight management, physical activity or falls prevention will be held by the service and contact will be made with clients once normal service resumes.
Top Tips for managing your weight during Covid-19
1. Maintain your routine: set an alarm and keep meals within the same time frame etc.
2. Continue self-monitoring: Food/drinks, step count, active minutes, sleep; make use of your fitness tracker.
3. Keep active: it’s not all about structured exercise, can you try some of the following:
– Set a daily step or stair climb goal.
– Can you stand whilst making phone calls?
– Can you pick a room each day to deep clean?
– Make use of our daily walk allowance.
– Play in the garden with children.
4. Don’t over weigh yourself: once per week at the same time on the same day is recommended.
5. Portion control is key to maintaining your weight in this period of possible reduced activity. Remember food is fuel, if we are not moving as much, we don’t need as much fuel.
6. Food labelling: we are being advised to carry out online shops where possible. This is the perfect opportunity to check those food labels. Can we opt for lower fat/sugar/salt options?
7. Use the time we have saved on our daily commute to dedicate to cooking from scratch, time is a common barrier we hear of. Let’s see the silver lining in this otherwise stressful situation.
8. Keep connected even though we are keeping physical distance from others it is still important to keep connected with others – we still need to have communication and connect with others – make use of phone, text, email and social media.
If you are concerned with your alcohol intake, please visit One You, Drinkaware or Change Grow Live Nottinghamshire.
Change Grow Live Nottinghamshire:
Telephone: 0115 896 0798
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 01159 541 078.
CGL are open Monday to Friday, 09:30 – 17:00
Thank you for your understanding. For the latest information on the coronavirus situation please visit the Council’s webpages at: https://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/care/coronavirus.
Your Health Your Way will post regular content via our social media channels to support residents during this time, follow us on:
Facebook: Your Health Your Way
Every Mind Matters
It is important you stay safe and look after yourself. If you are feeling anxious and are worried about your mental well-being while staying at home, you can find some helpful guidance from Every Mind Matters, prepared for by the NHS.
For further information about the coronavirus please visit the NHS website.
We apologise for this current change in service and ABL look forward to redeeming normal service and fully supporting all new referrals and clients as soon as we can in line with guidance on COVID-19.